Sunday, October 12, 2008

This Weekend's Project: The Incredible Hulking Heavy

Epoxy is heavy stuff. So is cardstock. Surprisingly, crumpled aluminum foil isn't. Combine them together, and you get something durable and thick.
In this stage of construction, I've covered the cardstock and Magic cards with a somewhat thin layer of Kneadatite modeling epoxy, of a thickness of around a millimeter or less. To smooth the arms out, I used a bit more to create rounded elements for the elbow and shoulder region. The epoxy is a darker green than depicted, with the lighter elements being the result of sanding it down smooth. Well, not smooth as I'd like, but better than lumpy.

The sanding allows me to see which regions are uneven and need more epoxy. Sanding it down allows the primer to go on better, which is important since I doubt my paints can cover the hideous shade of green. There was a lot of hacking away the aluminum foil for the hands to get it to the right shape, and I'll be hacking more off this week to get the desired range of motion.

Buying small packs of sculpey is better than buying the giant box at this stage. For $2, you get enough to sculpt a head, and the rest can be easily squandered by making accessories. The box initially was reasonable considering the amount of heads I needed to sculpt, but the poor storage conditions negated prolonged usefulness. I unfortunately found some cracks during baking, but I can easily solve that by hiding it with paint. Nothing too severe. However, 4 non-consecutive hours of baking at 275F did not darken the sculpey as much as I'd like it to be, signifying the rock solid state. I'll paint it once I get the arms done, if ever.

Checklist for what needs to be done:
  • Shirt
  • Vest
  • Belt and ammo pouch
  • Gloves
  • Ammo link belt
  • Sasha, the minigun
I'd easily get it done if I wasn't a lazy bum with the arms.

No comments: